The theme of the 2024 PALA conference is ‘Stylistics in the World’ and we invite papers which seek to address the role that stylistics research can play in the world. For instance, we would welcome presentations on research that involves collaboration with external partners, research that intersects with policy, and studies that involve reading as it happens beyond the walls of the university, as well as engagement with the ‘world’ metaphor more widely.
Potential topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- stylistics as an applied approach,
- stylistics in relation to the challenges we face in the world,
- research that investigates reading as it happens, beyond the walls of the university,
- stylistics’ relationship to other disciplines,
- stylistics and the world metaphor.
Proposals can be submitted for consideration in the general conference programme or to one of the six Special Interest Groups (SIGs). The SIGs for this year’s conference are:
- Crime Writing
- Telecinematic Stylistics
- Pragmatics and Literature
- The Stylistic Study of Empathy
- Stylistics and Health
- Ecostylistics: The Stylistics of Landscape, Place and Environment
Full details of each SIG are given via the abstract submission link below.
To submit an abstract for either the general programme or a SIG, please follow this link.
The deadline for abstracts is 15 January 2024.